Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Thinking Outside the Box of Failure

Y'know, I can come to terms with my weaknesses. And one such weakness is my general inability to think outside the box. It tends to hang me up in certain video game puzzles, I'll tell you. XD

A great example is in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for the Nintendo DS. Well, in PH there's a part where you need to get a stamp from a map on the wall onto the map you have to mark the next place to go. Well, when you examine the map on the wall, you get your map on the DS' bottom screen and the wall's map on the top, upside down. Perhaps the solution seems obvious to you, but I spent ages tapping and sliding on the touch screen, trying to get something to happen. I actually got the solution accidentally... my DS' battery was getting low and I, since I was in the car at the time and had no interest in saving and having to start over the dungeon, closed my DS to save power. When I opened, wow, what do you know, that was the puzzle. I had to close my DS to line up the screens and transfer the stamp... wow.

I guess that's excusable. Buuut you know there's a problem when you can't figure out in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption that you need to actually examine and press a button instead of scanning it as is a Metroid Prime staple... jeez. I guess I had the excuse that it was a demo in a public place. I guess.

At least I can hope that I'm learning from the Ace Attorney series, what with having to think outside the boxes on plenty of cases. At least I can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment